02 July 2007

Watergate Salad

As a good Southern girl, I grew up eating "ambrosia." Basically just cool-whip, marshmallows, crushed pineapple, sour cream, etc. all mixed together. It's kitschy, trashy good fun. We have it every Thanksgiving.

I tried a new (to me) version at the ladies' night at my place last weekend: Watergate Salad. It was apparently first served at the Watergate Hotel...I'm guessing sometime back in the 60s or 70s, but I'm not sure about that. Funny to imagine a time when a salad like this was considered fancy enough to be served at a hotel, huh? However, it tastes great, and is even better the next day. My husband loved it--he's a big fan of "pista," or pistachios.

WATERGATE SALAD

1 small container small curd cottage cheese
1 box instant pistachio pudding
1 can crushed pineapple, drained a bit
1/2 bag (or more) miniature marshmallows
1 (8 oz.) container Cool Whip, thawed

Sprinkle the dry pudding mix over the cottage cheese in a large mixing bowl. Stir together, until the cottage cheese looks green. Stir the crushed pineapple into the pudding-cottage cheese mixture. Fold in the marshmallows, and last of all, gently fold in the Cool Whip.
Place in serving bowl and decorate with maraschino cherries, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Serves 8-10.

Recipe source: Elaine from a cooking list I'm on.

No comments: