05 November 2010

Girls' Day Out

A few weeks ago, Mummy and I went together into DC to do a little sightseeing. V. was busy, so it was just us girls. I made reservations to go up inside the Washington Monument (it's free, but you have to book tickets ahead of time these days). We rode the Metro into the city for our day of sightseeing.

First up was the Washington Monument (Mummy waiting for our turn to tour):



where we got an amazing view of the city in four directions, and saw some of the inspiring words of the father of our country (if only we would heed them now!):



Then we walked down the National Mall to the Lincoln Memorial, taking one last look back at the Washington Monument and its reflection in the Reflecting Pool:



Having fun together! This is just after we had taken a rest with some Parle-G biscuits that I ended up feeding most of mine to the ducks in the Reflecting Pool, heh.



Here's Mummy in the Lincoln Memorial:



and me:



I have sindoor in my hair because the day before was Das Lakshan and we had been to the mandir near our house.

Mummy's knee was starting to hurt after so much walking, so we had to call it a day and catch the Metro back home. Still, it was a beautiful day and we had a great time together chatting and enjoying the sights of Washington DC.

7 comments:

Gori Girl said...

Looks like a fun day - NoVa is so nice in the fall. :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having fun bonding with the sasu ma or MIL. just curious if you were raised in a different faith and how comfortable you were adopting your husbands faith? Me and my gori girl are having trouble w this. She can't worship w me coz she was raised in a Midwestern Christian home and while she has expanded her world view she's still unable to connect with idols. We live in the dc md area btw.

D. Jain said...

One of the only times the weather is ever *really* nice here, GG! ;-)

Anon, I'm Christian (Anglican Catholic), but I don't have a problem with going to the temple with my husband or his family. I have a hard time believing that someone as kind and devout as my MIL could be wrong. Sometimes I'll say my own prayers to myself at the temple. It doesn't seem too different than icons like we have in our church.

Gori Girl said...

Seriously. Whenever someone asks us how we're feeling about the move from VA to CA, I always come back to the weather issue. I could be happy living in NoVa for the rest of my life, despite the various headaches of the area - except for the weather. 9 months of good weather beats out 4 or 5 weeks, always.

nicki18229 said...

Glad that you had good weather that day. Glad you and mummy had great time together I'm sorry to hear her knee was bothering her. Look foward to reading more

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
D. Jain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.